Be sure and check out my shop for a sweet summer sale!

Monday, January 11, 2010

I Feel Like Chicken Tonight!

Ok, so my oldest daughter has some kind of a dairy allergy. We aren't exactly sure what it is, she hasn't been tested yet, but she gets sick anytime she eats food with milk or cheese in it. At first we thought it was lactose intolerance and then realized it was much more. My husband enjoys casseroles, which usually include cheese, milk or cream of something soup, so those are becoming a thing of the past. Some of my old "go to" recipes can be done with soy milk and veggie cheese, but some of them are just not the same.

So what I am getting at here, is that I have some new recipes to share! The first comes from Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" magazine. I don't have a picture because we ate it all!!!

So, here it is BAKED CHICKEN WITH ONIONS, POTATOES, GARLIC AND THYME!

Serves 4, prep time 10 mins., total time 1 hour

1 whole chicken (3-3 1/2 lbs) cut into 8 pcs and breast halved crosswise
1 lb white new potatoes, halved (quartered if large)
1 large red onion, cut into eighths
1 head garlic, cloves separated and left unpeeled
6 sprigs thyme
1 lemon quartered
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
2 tbls balsamic vinegar
coarse salt and ground pepper

Preheat oven to 450. Arrange chicken through lemon in a 12X16" roasting pan. Whisk together evoo and vinegar and drizzle over chicken. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper. Turn chicken skin side up. Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 50 mins.

This is so easy and delicious! You could even do more potatoes if you have some hearty eaters or want to have some leftovers.

I am thinking of getting a subscription to the mag, it has some great recipes in it!

p.s. I hope to have a post with a giveaway on Friday! I will keep you posted!
Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Lashes & Leggings Boutique said...

Yummy- sounds delicious! I will have to try this sometime.
Stopping by from SITS.

Unknown said...

My son can't have dairy either and we make our own "cream based" soups with non dairy milks and thickened with a slurry of cornstarch and water instead of butter and flour. If you season it enough, it's a good swap. And it's lower in fat. Stopping by from sits!

Jennifer said...

Oooh yum yum yum!!! I must try that! I love chicken meals and you know I'm trying to find more recipes to make so this is a great one! thanks for sharing!

And on your giveaway are you gonna give away this meal? hehe, that would be great!