Be sure and check out my shop for a sweet summer sale!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pocket Easter Eggs DIY

I am a little sad that Valentines Day is over.  I never did get to make a Valentine wreath for my front door.  I do plan to make an Easter wreath, though.

Tomorrow will mark the beginning of Lent.  Ash Wednesday.  Forty days until Easter.

I feel it heavy on my heart to do more with my kids in teaching them about the Lord.

I decided to leave up the "love tree" and now it will become our Easter tree.  Today, we made some pocket Easter eggs.  They are just felt pieces cut in an egg shape.  I used some ric rac to decorate them.  (we used all of the rhinestones on the hearts!)  Then we added a little "pocket" to the back of them.


In each pocket is a little slip of paper.  Each day we will take some time and empty a pocket and follow the instructions. 

This is a fun project to do with your kids.  My 6 year old did some of the sewing around the edges and felt so big!  She's been asking for sewing lessons forever!  We plan to make more and cover the tree.

Hopefully, my kids will learn a bit more about the great sacrifice Jesus made for us and not just be concerned with what kind of candy will grace their baskets this year.

Be sure to stop by A Soft Place to Land for lots of other fun DIY ideas!

15 comments:

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

I love that idea! What a simple, yet effective way to get Gods word plus a little dose of love and good deeds into the lives of our little ones.

I'm sure it will make Easter all the more meaningful for the kidlets as well.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, that is ADORABLE! I'm totally making those with my girls. :o)

P.S. Thanks for your tip about Magic Erasers and Sharpies on marble...I've almost had that happen before! Eek! I'm filing your tip away, mama!

Danielle said...

I am with you. I want to teach my daughter more about the lord as well. This is a cute idea. I was thinking maybe bible verses in the eggs. That would be cute too.

Gay Vaughan said...

What a wonderful idea! I really like this and may have to use it. I teach pre-school(at a Baptist Church) in my other life...and we could use this to focus on Christ, instead of the Easter bunny. Great job, Andrea!

Stacey said...

Andrea, That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

What a great idea! The eggs are super cute. I love the way you are going to focus on Christ instead of the secular version of Easter.

Anonymous said...

Will you be my mom?!

You do the cutest stuff!! My daughter is standing over my shoulder now and we are ooohing and ahhhing over your tree!

I told her I was sorry I sucked as a mom :)

Our projects just revolve around construction paper and markers and glitter.

Off to Michaels now:-))

Lynette Jacobs said...

I loved the "love tree" and I think I love your "easter tree" and the idea of using it to teach your little ones about the Lord...even more:)

xx

extreme personal measures said...

Stopping by from SITS to say HI!

Christina Lee said...

This is SO great!!

Lia at Petite Little Bee said...

These are beautiful. It so nice to start getting ready for Easter. Thanks for sharing. Lia

The Mommyologist said...

This is a great idea! I'm still trying to figure out what to give up this year...

Claudya Martinez said...

Those are adorable and I love that they have little pockets for daily instructions. Great idea!

Crystal Escobar said...

What a great idea. I really want to try harder this year to teach my daughter the real meaning of Easter. Thank you for sharing this this. I'll be checking out that other website as well :)

Anonymous said...

OK, I LOVE this!!!! I so need to become more crafty! I feel like such a craft grinch sometimes. Seriously, this is the cutest!

~melody~